The main concern of Tobacco Control would be to offer a forum for research, analysis, commentary, and debate on policies, programmes, and methods being prone to further the objectives of the tobacco control policy that is comprehensive. In documents submitted for review the introduction should suggest why the study reported or problems discussed are very important when it comes to controlling tobacco use, while the conversation part will include an analysis of how a research reported plays a part in tobacco control goals.
Documents firmly anchored to a strategic policy and programme context are more inclined to be accepted for book. Once the log seeks to achieve a worldwide readership, writers should think about whether their intended submissions target problems or themes, that are probably be of great interest to researchers involved in other countries. Extremely parochial dilemmas, that incorporate few classes for tobacco control policy outside a paper’s local context, are not likely to get high priority. The manuscripts editors will generally speaking maybe maybe not provide high priority to:
- Studies of cigarette smoking prevalence and its own correlates. They are most readily useful suitable to journals that are national. Few individuals residing outside a national nation have an interest in whether that nation has 30% or 35% of smokers.
- Knowledge, attitudes, behaviour (KAB) studies of specific populace teams or medical researchers. Once more, they are better suited to national journals or even to wellness expert speciality journals. Few individuals far away will tend to be thinking about (for instance) whether nurses in a hospital that is regional thinking about helping patients quit. Nationwide studies, and people using such studies into original areas are of more interest.
- Reports that evoke unanimous “so what?” responses from the editors. They are papers with findings that appear to hold no apparent value for changing policy or training in tobacco control. They often times show methodological finery, but don’t take us anywhere crucial or interesting.
- Advice pieces where in actuality the views are unoriginal, badly argued, naive or neglect for essential ethical problems in favor of sloganeering.
- Documents that show the writers haven’t exposed Tobacco Control and don’t comprehend its main concentrate on tobacco control in place of on tobacco custom writing and its own usage and wellness effects. We have been thinking about such documents, but as long as their writers address the implications of the findings for tobacco control.
- Papers with glaringly apparent, deadly methodological issues.
- Documents on topics that want extremely technical or discipline-specific language not likely to be comprehended by the majority of visitors.
- Documents that are replications of currently well-established findings or provide little new information.
- Neighborhood studies where in actuality the implications for the journal’s audience that is international uncertain.
- Reports written for governments or neighborhood wellness authorities that somebody thought could be provided an instant make-over and presented as a log paper.
Tobacco Control adheres towards the greatest criteria concerning its editorial policies on book ethics, clinical misconduct, permission and peer review criteria. To look at all BMJ Journal policies please relate to the BMJ Author Hub policies web web page.
Articles are posted under a licence that is exclusive non-exclusive licence for British Crown workers or where BMJ has agreed CC BY is applicable. For people authorities officers or workers acting included in their official duties, the terms are as previously mentioned prior to our licence terms. Writers or their employers retain copyright. Start access articles could be reused underneath the regards to the appropriate innovative Commons licence to facilitate reuse associated with content; please relate to the Tobacco Control Author Licence for the Creative that is applicable commons.
Tobacco industry funded work
Tobacco Control will maybe not give consideration to for book documents work that is reporting, in entire or in part, with a tobacco business or tobacco industry company. Nor will the consider that is journal by authors whom accept tobacco industry money, including capital for research expenses, for several or element of any author’s income, or any other types of individual remuneration. For more information, please check this out editorial offering the thinking behind the journal’s policy. Failure to declare interests that are competing distribution, or whenever articles is commissioned, may result in instant rejection associated with paper. If your interest that is competing to light after book, Tobacco Control will issue an official modification to or retraction for the entire paper, as appropriate.
Material previously published online
Tobacco Control is prepared to think about documents based wholly or perhaps in component on product previously posted on the web. Nevertheless writers must look into an editorial about this topic: Prior book on the net: brand new log policy. The editor keeps the right that is customary make modifications any way you like of course required to reduce, because of the approval regarding the author(s), product accepted for publication. Any written or material that is illustrative happens to be posted somewhere else must certanly be duly recognized and followed closely by the penned consent regarding the copyright owner (this can be the publisher as opposed to the writer).
Under unique circumstances in which a paper’s findings have actually immediately policy that is relevant warranting urgent book, manuscripts can be fast tracked in front of the normal queue of documents. If you feel you feel it is of sufficient importance to be handled urgently that you have good reasons why this is true for your paper, please detail these in a cover letter, explaining the importance of your work for the field and the reason. This demand will not guarantee that the editors will concur, and just a few documents per year is likely to be expedited with this foundation, however it can help the editors to judge the paper’s importance when you look at the present context.
Formatting, terms and revised manuscripts
Documents on electric cigarettes should make use of the term ‘electronic cigarettes’ on very first usage, after which it the abbreviation ‘e-cigarettes’ may be utilized. Documents on other smoking distribution systems may continue steadily to make use of the word ‘electronic smoking distribution systems’ accompanied by the abbreviation ‘ENDS’ after very very first use.
When uploading a revised manuscript, writers also needs to add a different manuscript file highlighting the tracked changes to exhibit the editors the huge difference through the version that is previous. The monitored modifications document must certanly be uploaded as a supplementary file.
Analysis reporting gu >
BMJ calls for conformity towards the reporting that is following. Please upload the appropriate completed list for the submission to your study type, and label it “Research checklist”. This can be indicated on the submission form if no relevant checklist is available for your study type.
CONSORT statement – necessary for all randomised managed studies
PRISMA statement – necessary for all systematic reviews
EVEREST statement – Required for many financial evaluations
STARD statement – Required for many research that is diagnostic
STROBE statement – necessary for all observational studies
SQUIRE statement – Required for many quality enhancement studies
Guidance and kinds can be obtained from EQUATOR.
We welcome video clip abstracts to come with accepted research articles. These enable authors to really talk through their work beyond the limitations of the formal article to improve the user’s understanding. Note you to consider submitting a video abstract until your paper has been accepted that we will not ask. Please do not attempt to upload a video clip abstract upon initial distribution of the manuscript.
There are numerous tutorials online which could guide the manufacturing of a video clip abstract, using commonly and frequently easily available pc software. Windows film Maker and Apple iMovie would be the many typical examples. Samples of movie abstracts can be found from The BMJ. Here are a few directions for making a video abstract. Writers could also want to ask their institution’s press/media workplace for support.
- Video abstracts must not go longer than 4 mins.
- The information while focusing associated with movie must connect straight to the scholarly research that’s been accepted for book, and really should perhaps not stray beyond the info. We suggest itself i.e. briefly outline the background/context of the study, present your research objective, outline the methods used, present the key results and then discuss the implications of the outcomes that you follow the same structure as the paper.
- The presentation and content associated with the movie must certanly be in a mode plus in terms which is understandable and available to an over-all audience that is medical. The primary language should be English, but we welcome subtitles an additional language. Please avoid jargon that’ll not be acquainted to an extensive medical market, and never utilize abbreviations.
- Writers often talk straight into the digital camera and/or provide a slideshow, but we encourage the utilization of other appropriate artistic and material that is audiosuch as for instance animations, movies, nevertheless photographs, figures, infographics). If you want to make use of product from formerly posted work or off their sources, please receive the appropriate permissions through the publisher that is relevant copyright owner.